Bottoms

Project 16 – Berry Bubble Shorts, Tween Style

So, as you learned in my last post, my step-daughter arrived without her suitcase, which drastically limited her wardrobe choices. Luckily, we only had to worry about hot weather here, so really, the biggest limitation on what I could make her was time (you know, without 5 kids hanging off me). After going through a heap of patterns, and my stash, she decided she’d like the Berry Bubble Shorts by Rebecca Page, in a navy with white swiss dot cotton. Ok, time for a confession…I may have steered her towards these so I could see how they would look on an older kid. Why? well, I’m planning to make myself a pair with the women’s pattern with the leftover fabric from my silver dress. I’ve made several pairs of these, always with the bubble hem, for Little Miss, so I wondered how the straight hem would look, and also what the length was like. As a sidenote, I always hate shopping for Miss 11 because I find the store-bought shorts are always SO short for girls. Spoiler alert: I was so happy with the length and cut of these.

I didn’t make many modifications to this pattern at all. In fact, the only modification I made was to cut the leg bindings on the grain instead of the bias. This was less of a stylistic decision and more of an economising one; I had less than a yard of this fabric and it was a real struggle to get the pieces out of it! Also, instead of making the leg binding 1/2 inch wide, I made it 3/4 inch. I did this by folding the binding piece in half, then instead of folding the edges in to meet in the middle, I only folded them halfway. I did this to make the cuff slightly longer because I was worried about the length, which I needn’t have, but as it turned out, I prefer it a little wider, especially since I also added piping to the binding (and also at the pocket binding).

 

IMG_0059
I added the piping by first sewing on the bias to the back of each piece. Then I pinned the piping so the cord was just past the line of stitching from the bias, and basted in place, trimming the seam allowance. Finally, I folded the bias over, pinned and sewed it all in place. Perfectly neat piping every time!

 

These shorts seem a bit fiddly and a lot of effort to make. I know the first time I made them (albeit in a teeny size), they seemed to take forever. But even with the extra fiddling of the piping, these didn’t take too long to put together at all. I promise, once you’ve done it once, it gets so much quicker and easier.

These look like they pull a little in the crotch, thanks to these photos, but it’s just the result of an awkward 11 year old trying to pull “model” poses, and a clueless husband not bothering to straighten things out. We went to a kids playground right before these photos for a birthday party and she played long and hard in them, claiming they were “super comfortable”. And I, for one, love the “sailor-y” feel of these.

 

IMG_0101
They fit really nicely in the back, and the length is great. Not nun long, but not skimpy short either

 

IMG_0096
Miss 11 swears these are really comfy and don’t cling at all

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s